Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reiki Wednesday: Balancing Turtles

"Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings."
-Dr. Usui



After teaching 2 Spin classes this morning, I left the gym, looked at my watch and had 45 minutes to get home, walk the dog, shower and lead a Reiki circle at my healing studio.  Talk about shifting gears. Thankfully, the gym and studio are only about a 5-10 minute drive from home.  Thankfully, my first class was overfilled so I enlisted Jen (my friend and running partner) to ride the instructor bike for me, giving my extremely tired legs a break.  As I've said before, peak marathon training and teaching my classes (9 in 5 days this week), plus a Warrior Dash thrown in, does not always make for a healthy mix.  Any good instructor should be able to teach effectively off the bike, and I do hop on and off often.  However, it's hard not to get caught up in the energy and ride harder than I planned.  If I don't even have a bike, this is not an option.  Thankfully.  

Going to my healing studio is a refuge.  The women who joined me today are all very special and I felt blessed to be in their company, sharing with them.  The energy was strong and deep and heavy....

I thought about balance, it being the equinox, and all.  I thought about harvest time and if I am reaping the benefits of all the little seeds that I intentionally planted throughout the year.  In some ways, yes.  In some ways, no.  But, today was not about judgement.  It was about awareness, about looking at my life as if it was playing out on a movie screen: My training hasn't been 100%, but I am running strong.  I plan for this, my second, marathon to be stronger than my first.  I am faster than I have ever been.  I intend to put up a 10K PR on Saturday morning.  I have done good work here.  In other areas of my life, I see room for improvement, to continue on the never-ending journey to non-attachment, to trust...to trust in those around me, but, most importantly, to trust that I am EXACTLY where I need to be in my life.  And through this reflection today, I did find a balance point, if only for a little while.  In my soul, it feels exactly like it does when you are running and everything falls into perfect alignment...from your foot-strike, to your joints, to your breath, to your heartbeat.  You know that flow: sheer bliss.  

Because I am running the 10K race on Saturday, I have decided to make tomorrow my last "long" run before marathon day on October 2nd.  It will probably be around 10 miles...we'll see.  

In preparation for this final week of pre-marathon running, I decided to pull one of my animal medicine cards to see what energy would be running along with me...not for the race, just for training.  I did this before my last trail half-marathon and it worked beautifully (Raven=Magic).  I keep them in my medicine bag, which is a brilliant idea suggested to me by a friend.  I think everyone should have one.  In it, you simply keep things that make you happy or feel good about yourself.  In times of doubt or sadness or whatever, go through your bag.  It will lift your spirit.

my medicine bag
Anyway, of all cards, I pull......the Turtle.  LOL!  The ultimate running archetype, from one of the most famous fables ever.  The Native American symbolism is Mother Earth. 


Some of the messages: "Use the water and earth energies, which represent Turtle's two homes, to flow harmoniously, to place your feet firmly on the ground in a power stance...Bigger, stronger and faster are not always the best ways to get to a goal.  When you arrive, you may be asked where you've been and you may not be able to remember...This is a reminder of the ally you have in Mother Earth.  It does not matter what situation you have created: ask for her assistance and abundance will follow."  Perfect for my last 10 miles, perfect for my taper, just perfect.  

No comments: